Monday 17 June 2013

Running Or Walking: Which Is Best For Fat Loss & Health?

walker-to-runner

Surely you’ve heard this heated debate. One camp is of the opinion that walking is best for weight loss while others believe running to be best.
So which side is right?
First I need to say that I’m not confirming that either is best for weight or fat loss and / or best for health. I’m simply going to address the differences between the two arguments.
You’ll find plenty of people who’ve lost a lot weight walking miles per day and you’ll also find running converts who’ve also dropped the lbs.
Proponents of walking will concede that their activity may not burn as many calories as quickly as running, but when performed for longer periods of time the end result is the same. The thinking is that longer bouts of walking equals the calorie burn of shorter bouts of running – while being ‘safer’ for the body.
This is a flawed theory.
As a trainee you cannot be only concerned with ‘calories burned’ during an activity. You must also realize and be aware that each activity has a different metabolic effect. It’s the same as with food – 100 calories of cookies doesn’t equal 100 calories of Kale – each has a different effect of metabolism. In other words, even if you burned exactly the same amount of calories from walking as in running, you won’t get nearly the same post exercise effect. This is known as EPOC – Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption.
I could walk / sprint for 20 minutes and while I may not burn as many calories as an individual who walks for an hour and half, I may burn more total calories throughout the day from increased EPOC. Make sense?
That’s not to say that walking should be abandoned all together. In deconditioned individuals a walk at a moderate pace may actually become a significant workout. But as with all exercise, once your body is acclimated to the stressor, change usually comes to a hault.
Anecdotally I usually see people that are significantly overweight to be walking for exercise. It’s a rare occurrence for me to see a lean, toned and fit individual regularly walking as their only source of exercise. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, I’m saying that I don’t see it that often. Additionally, some studies have concluded that people who run tend to eat better than walkers and also include other forms of exercise in their program.
Here’s my view on walking – it’s generally a beginner’s activity. It’s ok. Let the hate mail commence. But in all reality walking will only provide a stimulus for change for so long before it no longer represents a challenge. And if you jog at the same pace for any length of time, you too will also stop challenging your body.
The concept that needs to be grasped here is relative intensity. One person may be walking at 3 miles per hour while another runs at 8.0. The runner isn’t necessarily working harder or getting a better benefit if both are working at an 8 or 9 in terms of intensity. That’s a hard concept to follow but it is true.
When it comes to running vs. walking, a run inherently takes more effort. Therefore as a rule, the same person who chooses to walk will burn more calories running. I don’t think this is a hard concept to follow. Is It?
I also need be totally honest. I feel like walking for exercise is the easy way out and for those who don’t really have the drive to push themselves to start a more balanced program. Going back to those walkers I see – they never look like they’re working all that hard. It looks more like a leisurely stroll that often time includes a chat with friends.
Runners? Well they also have their own set of issues. This group of people also usually fails to recognize the need for varied programming and as a result trainees commonly inform me that they’ve been running the same route for years. Here too we have a body that’s bored of what the stimulus is and has long been adapted to the stressor being placed on it.
When searching for studies on this subject you’ll find research that equally suggests one mode is best for weight loss and health. One will say that walking is less impactful, better for heart health, and can rival running. Another will say that long-term studies prove running to be best for permanent weight loss and overall health. It is hard to know which to believe.
The good news is that you need not concern yourself with who’s right because as a follower of Angry Trainer Fitness you’re aware of the need for balance and variety in your fitness program. Right?
I said right!?
Why not use both running and walking in your program? Perhaps one day you use sprints in your routine. Another day you run a 5k and then later in the week go for a walk on a beautiful day or maybe a hike? I suggest you use many modalities and varying intensity levels in your program to cover your bases.
BUT if I had to choose only one mode, either running or walking, I’d certainly go with running. I do believe it is a better choice on many levels for increasing your fitness and health. Running and especially sprinting will boost your lung capacity, heart health, endurance, stamina and overall fitness far beyond even the fastest of walking.
In addition due to the nature of running fast and sprinting, you’ll engage fast twitch muscle fibers that will never get tapped into while walking. Fast twitch fibers grow faster, are explosive and help you burn calories like nobodies business.
So I’d have to say that the list of benefits from running do outweigh (pun intended) the benefits of walking. Science and real world evidence has proven time and again that shorter, more intense workouts produce better results across a wide range of health and fitness benefits.
Lets get brutally honest – walking for most of us is not a significant challenge. Without challenge there is no change. And don’t go writing me telling me to try walking 10 miles so I can see how hard it is. No thanks. I choose to spend my time more efficiently. While you spent two hours walking, I wrote this article, performed a CrossFit WOD and practiced my lifting skills. I made lunch and packed a snack for later. And I shined up my car tires.
And I got a better metabolic benefit than your two hour walk.
That’s my angry opinion and I’m sticking to it!
What do you think? Which is better? Why?
All information contained within this site, Angry Trainer Fitness.com, is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any health problem – nor is it intended to replace the advice of a physician. No action should be taken solely on the contents of this website. Always consult your physician or qualified health professional on any matters regarding your health or on any opinions expressed within this website. Please see your physician before changing your diet, starting an exercise program, or taking any supplements of any kind.









No comments:

Post a Comment